Friday, September 18, 2015

Decisions, Decisions!

Hey guys and gals...what do you do when faced with a fork in the road of your life?

I am currently in a position where I have come to this fork career wise. I can either continue my education and the path towards Cybersecurity or I can complete my current degree (graduating next fall) and start my own business after graduation.

As with most choices in life, you have to consider the pros and cons. What throws salt in my game is that there are at least two new job opps at my current company. I want to graduate from my current position. However, if I do I will need to stay here a little longer. In a sense it will buy me time and I can pursue my BA in Cybersecurity. If I do not graduate from my position, I will finish out my Associates degree next year and pursue my business. 

The no brainer in the right person's mind is to go after the business and work for yourself!! YAHOO!!! That is me all day and I have a plan of action. The problem is the guilt and that I've spent the last 7 years in school pursuing a degree...any degree and finally settling upon Cybersecurity which kept me pretty interested. I have spent countless amounts of dollars on school, classes and books only now to decide that I want to start my own business, which is not in the cyber field by the way. 

I met a great group of women from the Women's Society of Cyberjutsu who has a boat load of activities for women to plan and take advantage of, to assist in their career paths. Cybersecurity is my niche!!! It is interesting and fun and exciting!! 

The other problem I am facing is that I am in my late 30's and I feel that where I want to be in the cyber field is going to take me a long time to get there. Most folks who are in the big leagues have started from the bottom as computer techs, where as my bottom only consists of Admin jobs. I would need to get this degree, a handful of certifications, and some experience under my belt in order to get through the door. On top of it all, I make pretty good money now and may have to take a major pay cut just to get into the field with NO experience. Hence the fork...

I am burned out from school and learning!!! I would need to study for the certifications like A+, Network +, Security +, CEH, CISSP and so on and so forth..lol..just talking about it is making me tired. :-)

I really need to think about this. I want my own business as I am tired of the regular 9 to 5. I need to pray on this. I believe sitting still for a period of time to meditate and wait for guidance is the only thing that will help me decide which road to choose. Wish me luck! How do you handle your forks in the road of life??

Until next time...

"Life is about choices. Enjoy life and choose your destiny!"

Lady Elle


No comments:

Post a Comment